[PD] pd clicking with jack/linux

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Jul 2 08:48:48 CEST 2008

Atte André Jensen wrote:
> patrick wrote:
>>

> 1) "pd -?" says -audiobuf is in ms, so 256 wouldn't make sense, or...?

why shouldn't it make sense? 256ms is justas valid as 7ms

> 2) I thought that jack clients automatically got the same buffer size as
> jack, which means that is doesn't make sense (or any difference) to

afaik this is correct.
Pd will silently ignore the audiobuf flag when using jack as backend
(butthen i don't use jack so often so i might be mistaken here)

> specify that for the client. Same with -rt, I thought that clients
> "enherited" the realtime priority from jack...

i don't think so. even if the dsp calculations are callback-driven by
jack, you still have all the message stuff going on.
additionally, in older versions of Pd (<0.41?) the jack-callback will
actually not trigger the dsp-processing but rather only read a buffer
the contents of which have been calculated with Pd's priority.
i think this has changed with 0.41, but haven't had a deeper look at the
code yet.

mfg.asdr
IOhannes