[PD] best way to do 1/x

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Jul 3 10:33:11 CEST 2008

Hallo,
IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Atte André Jensen wrote:
> > Frank Barknecht wrote:
> >
> >> Yes, it is. ;)
> >
> > But slightly more tricky is that send/recieve must have the same
> > "problems", but may be more difficult to spot.
> >

> indeed, this problem exists.
>
> that is why you should use explicit connections and [trigger] whenever
> possible.

Often the execution order is only important in confined, local areas
of the code and there direct connections are used anyway. But indeed
sends and receives can lead to subtle bugs with execution order, too.
But as eveywhere in Pd, many similar situations come up all the time,
so with experience it will become easier to spot them.

A typical example which is found in many patches is the global beat
counter which counts from 0-15 over and over and sends this to a [s
BEAT] receiver. If you want to change e.g. a note pattern every time,
the counter restarts from 0, you cannot just use [r BEAT]---[select
0], as that may select the new pattern too late, after the first note
has already been played.  Here you should use a trigger like

 0 ...  15 -- beat counter

 [t a a]
 |    |
 |    [s PRE-BEAT]

 [s BEAT]

Then use [r PRE-BEAT]---[select 0]---"change pattern".

Same for physical modelling with [pmpd]: Link forces have to be
computed before you can set the new positions of the masses, so the
global metro to drive the pmpd objects also is decorated with a [t b b].

> and since we are there: never use [delay] to enforce a certain execution
> order (it does work, but usually you will get weird (though totally
> deterministic) results in more complex setups)

Word!

Ciao