[PD] worldwide weather forecast into PD

altern altern2 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 12:58:33 CEST 2008

hi

here there is the scripts to get weather data from the net (and more).
The scripts can be used from python (using the scripts.py file) or from
PD thanks to pyext external. There are several objects provided.

One to get local and external IP addresses of the computer, another one
to get images from google (nothing to do with weather really), then two
to get weather data from yahoo weather and BBC weather websites, and one
to get geoInfo (city, country, lat, long ...).

The BBC one is a bit more complex and i guess most likely to fail if
they change the web layout, i am parsing the HTML to get the data. The
one on yahoo relies on their XML data structure totally and i dont think
they will change this so often.

However, the nice thing about the BBC one is that it tries to guess
where the computer is using the geoinfo, but this is might not work all
times. On the one hand, the system might not guess where you are
located, on the other hand the city or area you are in might not have
bbc weather data.

any ideas or contributions are welcome.

enrike

B. Bogart(e)k dio: