[PD] better tabread4~

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Jul 3 17:51:47 CEST 2008

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008, Matt Barber wrote:

> I'm with you on the general piecewise Lagrange not being C1, but I
> don't think it follows that all other orders are discontinuous --
> can't they alternate?

No. Any derivative inherits all discontinuities from the original
function. It's a basic fact of life.

> Therefore, since the terms match at the points on adjacent pieces, the
> 2nd derivative is continuous even though the first isn't.

Ok, well, there's usually a distinction made between a continuous function
and one with holes. Even though you can use a limit operator to remove the
holes, the result of that is just not the same function... unless you see
that through limit-operator-coloured glasses.