[PD] [PD-dev] [range] from maxlib

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Jul 4 11:10:54 CEST 2008

On Jul 4, 2008, at 12:46 AM, Luke Iannini wrote:

> [...]
>>> would be
>>> required for using GridFlow (because it would be used in GridFlow's
>>> abstractions), and the problem would be exactly the same, only
>>> with one
>>> more library dependency to think about.
>>>
>>> Frankly, I don't know what to do to solve your problem. I think
>>> that it's
>>> a problem of your perception of what GridFlow is supposed to be,
>>> vs what
>>> it is.
>>
>> the solution would be to give it a name, that clearly relates to
>> gridflow. [gf.range] or whatsoever (similar to grid processing
>> classnames starting with a '#').
>>
>>> Besides, if you read one sentence of "GridFlow is..." it doesn't
>>> tell you
>>> the whole picture and you shouldn't take it as such. I also
>>> didn't want to
>>> call the library MatjuLib just because its most defining
>>> characteristic is
>>> that all the things in there are things that I have wanted and/or
>>> that my
>>> collaborators have wanted. I thought about making a separate
>>> library but
>>> quickly figured out that there was not much of a point to it.
>>
>> sorry, matju, i didn't meant to tell YOU what the focus of
>> gridflow is
>> or is supposed to be. however, it's not me, who made the distinction
>> between 'core classes' of gridflow (the ones starting with '#' ) and
>> some additional classes, but it's the name, that distinguishes them.
>> this distinction made me believe, that there is something like a core
>> part and a peripheral part (whereas the peripheral part is not
>> necessarily necessary for the core part, that has the dedicated
>> focus,
>> to work properly). this might be wrong and my own faulty personal
>> interpretation.
>>
>> personally i think, that something like [range] shouldn't be part
>> of an
>> external at all, rather should it be simply an abstraction.
>> however, the
>> naming problem persists (and should be faced by adding some library
>> specific prefix, imo).
>
> Well, as always, the namespace thing is at the root of all this - if
> the namespace stuff was working (and it sounds like it's getting
> closer) then it would be perfectly fine to call it just [range] since
> it would require gridflow/range or import/declare gridflow to use.
>
> And, the second answer is other-language (e.g. Python) style
> reorganization of libraries to be author-agnostic - ordered by
> functionality.  But, this requires a Organization Czar, it seems, and
> maybe no one is ready to be that person yet, so, until then, such
> helper-objects must stay in the homes of their authors for there's
> nowhere else to put them.  (also, I think in this case, since
> grid-operators in GF have the #-prefix, those objects without the
> prefix are clearly distinguished as "generic helpers")

Actually, I think it more needs people to wrote those libraries.
Cyrille and I were just talking about this here in Barcelona.  Pd
definitely needs working namespaces and logically organized
libraries.  If you also think this is important, then pick a topic
and make a clean, well-organized library around it.

.hc