[PD] mrpeach osc - pipelist question

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Jul 6 20:28:20 CEST 2008

Quoting Martin Peach <martin.peach at sympatico.ca>:

> Aaargh... I was looking at an older version of [unpackOSC], before it
> was modified (zmoelnig's patch 1959417). I guess the best solution is to

sorry if i caused confusion here.

> make [pipelist] accept lists without the list selector (aka
> meta-messages) then.

i agree.

> I'm getting the feeling that list is becoming deprecated in favour of
> meta-messages, since the 'list' selector is redundant. Is that right?

no, it's just something different.
a list is "only data", without a special meaning attached to it via a
selector.
(implying: the selector puts the data into a special context)

as i understand it, an OSC message is a kind of generic message
(meta-message) with a selector (the address) and the data (the rest).
it is _not_ just a list that happens to have a symbol as the first argument.

that was the reason for my patch (stripping the "list"): make it
in-line with Pd's messages (as used e.g. in [route]; [route bla] will
not route "list bla 12", and rightly so)

i hope it makes sense.

fgmasdr.
IOhannes