[PD] Seam carving audio

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Jul 8 18:23:38 CEST 2008

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, Damian Stewart wrote:

> (i'm reminded of a particular electroacoustic composition tutorial class
> i attended when studying a couple of years ago, where we were being
> taught to use SoundHack and the tutor was saying all sorts of things to
> us like 'you should use the Hanning window here because it sounds best'
> and 'don't use settings here below <x> because it won't sound good'. i
> managed to convince him to demonstrate what 'sounding bad' was like, and
> then we spent the rest of the tutorial playing with settings and making
> 'bad sounding' audio. it was great.)

Yes. As I said, I'm sure you can get pretty cool sounds out of this
effect, but if all you're looking for is a way to make a cleaner kind of
stretching/shrinking, it's the wrong place to look for it, which is why I
was being negative about it. If the point is to make funny-sounding stuff,
you probably have something more interesting than a shovelful of allpass
filtres here.

On a related note, gridflow/examples/postdigital.pd is an example of
messing with a setting called "quality", _lowering_ it until it looks so
low-fidelity that it becomes _interesting_. Then it shows the frame
difference with the original image, which is even more fun. I think of
postdigitalism as about not taking quality settings literally, which is
why I came up with this patch under that name, or came up with that name
for that patch.

Note that my use of the term is tongue-in-cheek and I haven't read Kim
Cascone nor Roy Ascott, and chances are that I'm not going to do it soon
(I have a large pile of unread books in the queue and it doesn't get any
smaller). But I enjoy talking about those æsthetical issues a lot, just
that I tend to use my existing background instead, which may give wholly
different results... e.g.: what if Claude Shannon had written a book named
«Différence et Répétition»? that's the kind of question I sometimes ask
myself.