[PD] PDP and/or GEM for live video processing

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 16:35:32 CEST 2008

Hi Russell,
you can do everything in GEM. the pdp-gem bridge is slow afaik, so
staying in either the pdp domain or the gem domain is a good idea.
and I guess both will do background subtraction. look at pix_background
for a quickstart. it depends what else you need, whether you want to
track motion or objects against a reference frame, whether you want the
actual result of the background subtraction, which will work best with a
real bluescreen.
writing the movies into the memory can eat quite a lot of memory, but
writing to disk is slow, so you may want to find a good solution for that.
no issues with macbook pro except make sure that you have drivers for
your video source, usually no problem. the native format on mac is YUV,
so maybe you will have to add pix_rgba at some place, but just try it out.
marius.