[PD] Free rotation in GEM

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Jul 16 01:23:14 CEST 2008

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, PSPunch wrote:

> Trying to achieve free rotation *without* using [accumrotate], I have
> come across concepts such as multiplying matrixs and converting a matrix
> to "quarternion"
> How do you implement precise control of rotation matrixs?
> Is this exactly what people use GridFlow for?

If you tried GridFlow's bundled examples you'd see what I use GridFlow
for. I suppose that I could add some other people's examples in the
package, if they sent it to me for that purpose. There is already one
patch by Roman Häfeli in GridFlow's examples though.

GridFlow does not support quaternions. I bet it's possible to add support
for it using abstractions, but it wouldn't be fast. But I'm willing to add
it to the core... there's already a complex-number section in number.c,
why not quaternion product? It would be called [# H.*] where H stands for
Hamilton (in math the letter Q is already reserved for rationals, so I'd
use H even though the concept of rational reasonably couldn't appear in
that particular place).