[PD] really annoying question about tildes~

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jul 16 21:17:48 CEST 2008

On Jul 16, 2008, at 12:37 PM, Martin Peach wrote:

> Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>> If all internal classes became single external classes, as some
>> people have
>> wished already, then you end up with bunch of classes named like
>> [*] and
>> [/] that have to be named something in the filesystem, and so
>> should their
>> helpfiles. Furthermore, by consistency, things closely related to
>> the [*]
>> class should be named with a "*" in the name instead of a "mul",
>> and things
>> closely related to [/] should be named with a "/" in the name
>> instead of a
>> "div", and so GridFlow's [inv*] was part of a jMax-compat layer
>> and the
>> original jMax class was called exactly [inv*] because the jMax
>> authors
>> judged it to be so closely related to [*]. There's another way of
>> understanding the behaviour of that class, but in that case it is so
>> closely related to [/] instead.
>
> Maybe by adding a list of aliases to the init file, arbitrarily named
> objects could be stored on a filesystem with safe names and
> instantiated
> using the weird name.

 > and < are only problems on NTFS/Windows.  So the files could be
called >~.pd and <~.pd on other more sane platforms, and some init
hack for Windows.  The other issue is the setup function.  Pd insists
on having the class name in the setup function.  If it was just setup
() like Max/MSP, then that would not be an issue.

So we've discussed this a lot, but what needs to happen is that some
code needs to be written and tested.  IOhannes has spend a ton of
time on this issue, and is understandably frustrated.  I don't think
there is much to be gained by discussing it again, unless someone
steps up and works on it.

.hc