[PD] Creating music notation with GEM

David Powers cyborgk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 07:59:38 CEST 2008

Hello,

I have a question, how hard do you think it would be create a notation
engine for GEM? What considerations would go into the design?

On the simplest level, I'm imagining doing non-rhythmic notation to
display chords and cells for improvisors.

Since the number of notes on a chord would be determined on the fly,
would it be better to create the max amount of objects and turn off
unwanted ones, or better to use dynamic patching? This would simply be
to create circles representing noteheads.... Here's my imaginary
prototype:

[gemhead]

   |       [cell G Ab F# F (   or  [chords c4 e4 g4 , F#4 G4 B4 (
or   [cell 0 4 3 5 2 1 (
   |       /
   |      /
[treble_clef]

Anybody have any idea what kind of messages I might send such an object?

~David