[PD] Creating music notation with GEM

patrice colet pat at mamalala.org
Thu Jul 17 11:31:47 CEST 2008


 How do you display the chords in GEM? I personaly use a jazzfont ttf 
and curves,
 the attached patch is an attempt to display a score that any reader 
would understand because it's written like in the Realbook.
 Unfortunately I didn't finish this project (like many ones), but it 
might give a clue I hope.

 I really don't think that an improvisator will enjoy to have single 
notes packets to read for each chord,
in fact I don't know any improvisator that need to read something else 
than jazzchords and melodies for playing,
 unless they have a notice given with the score where the composer has 
explained all his weird symbols, quite annoying to make, to play, to 
read, and to hear...for me.

 Also I've started a project for writting scores with datastructures,
 attached archive is an old sample of this datastructure project,
 done with the help of F. Barkneicht, I've done something more 
sophisticated, but the purpose wasn't really about 
reading/playing/learning music but it's just a 'proof of the concept' 
game, maybe you will see it through the publication of the PureCorps 
game started last year...

 I think that the advantage of scores displayed by a computer is about 
having pages (or even better the first line) updated automatically when 
the reader is at the last line.

 I will be need of something functionnal for playing in concerts soon,
 then will certainly make something that will fit my use and reading 
 I'll also need to write strange tuplets like the ones you can find in 
FZ's Black Page...
If someone is interested I could update this work in pd-announce ?
 Anyway, all this stuff won't be as powerful as some lilypond external 
or something similar...


David Powers a écrit :
> Hello,
> I have a question, how hard do you think it would be create a notation
> engine for GEM? What considerations would go into the design?
> On the simplest level, I'm imagining doing non-rhythmic notation to
> display chords and cells for improvisors.
> Since the number of notes on a chord would be determined on the fly,
> would it be better to create the max amount of objects and turn off
> unwanted ones, or better to use dynamic patching? This would simply be
> to create circles representing noteheads.... Here's my imaginary
> prototype:
> [gemhead]
>    |
>    |
>    |       [cell G Ab F# F (   or  [chords c4 e4 g4 , F#4 G4 B4 (
> or   [cell 0 4 3 5 2 1 (
>    |       /
>    |      /
> [treble_clef]
> Anybody have any idea what kind of messages I might send such an object?
> ~David
> _______________________________________________
> Pd-list at iem.at mailing list
> UNSUBSCRIBE and account-management -> http://lists.puredata.info/listinfo/pd-list

-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
Name: jazzfonts.pd
URL: <http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/attachments/20080717/41c1988c/attachment.txt>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: pgjazz.ttf
Type: application/x-font-ttf
Size: 43968 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/attachments/20080717/41c1988c/attachment.bin>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: score-abs.zip
Type: application/zip
Size: 4139 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/attachments/20080717/41c1988c/attachment.zip>

More information about the Pd-list mailing list