[PD] Creating music notation with GEM

patrice colet pat at mamalala.org
Thu Jul 17 11:31:47 CEST 2008

 Sayonara,

 How do you display the chords in GEM? I personaly use a jazzfont ttf
and curves,
 the attached patch is an attempt to display a score that any reader
would understand because it's written like in the Realbook.
 Unfortunately I didn't finish this project (like many ones), but it
might give a clue I hope.

 I really don't think that an improvisator will enjoy to have single
notes packets to read for each chord,
in fact I don't know any improvisator that need to read something else
than jazzchords and melodies for playing,
 unless they have a notice given with the score where the composer has
explained all his weird symbols, quite annoying to make, to play, to
read, and to hear...for me.

 Also I've started a project for writting scores with datastructures,
 attached archive is an old sample of this datastructure project,
 done with the help of F. Barkneicht, I've done something more
sophisticated, but the purpose wasn't really about
reading/playing/learning music but it's just a 'proof of the concept'
game, maybe you will see it through the publication of the PureCorps
game started last year...

 I think that the advantage of scores displayed by a computer is about
having pages (or even better the first line) updated automatically when
the reader is at the last line.

 I will be need of something functionnal for playing in concerts soon,
 then will certainly make something that will fit my use and reading
abilities,
 I'll also need to write strange tuplets like the ones you can find in
FZ's Black Page...
If someone is interested I could update this work in pd-announce ?
 Anyway, all this stuff won't be as powerful as some lilypond external
or something similar...

Jaa.