[PD] How to read .mid files

Spencer Russell spencer.f.russell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 17:38:22 CEST 2008

> Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 15:26:28 +0200
> From: Costis Benardis <c.benardis at hotmail.com>
> Subject: [PD] How to read .mid files
>
> Hi
>
> I have a simple (i hope) question. How can i read a midi file stored in my hd. What i want to do is to read data from a .mid file and write them in a table.
>
> Thanks

If you don't mind a little compilation, I wrote an object called
midiopen that opens a midi file and dumps the data to its outlet.
Check out the SVN repo with

svn checkout http://pdhmm.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ pdhmm

if you're on linux you should be able to compile it just by typing "scons"

it's still pretty preliminary, but it should work on most midi files
that don't have any SysEx messages in them.

One of these days I'll clean it up and perhaps add it to pd-extended.

-spencer