[PD] installing flext in pd-extended

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 17:29:15 CEST 2008

Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I installed pd-extended from
> Pd-0.40.3-extended-20080628-ubuntu-gutsy-i386.deb and now I need to
> compile pool, which means I need to install flext. I tried to compile
> flext, but it seems it needs the source of pd, which is not provided by
> pd-extended.deb.

yes I also ran into that problem already several times, but I think you
need only the sources for pd 0.40.3 which you can get from miller's site
or the latest from the autobuild server (which is I think always one day
behind the developer svn/cvs.
http://puredata.info/docs/developer/GettingPdSource
I don't think you have to compile Pd yourself to get flext working, you
already have it in your pd-extended.app, but I am not totally sure. just
place the sources somewhere and point flext to them. and then flext will
install your externals either directly into pd-extended.app or you have
to do this by hand.

> Does this really mean I have to install everything by hand? If so, is
> there an easy way to something similar to pd-extended (including the
> source) up and running in one go?

no, although a "pd-plus" distro would be nice, where you install only a
very basic pd version that features externals installation like firefox
plugins.

marius.