[PD] saving state of a patch

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Jul 21 19:34:17 CEST 2008

Hallo,
Atte André Jensen hat gesagt: // Atte André Jensen wrote:

> Both seems complex, and although I appreciate RRADical's (which it seems
> memento is part of) "paradigm", I'm still quite new to PD and would like
> to make a few mistakes and learn a few lessons before I "just" adopt
> someone else's approach.

Then I would recommend [sssad]. It's the most simple of them all and
doesn't need any externals. (Note that it's missing from pd-extended's
autobuilds currently for reasons I don't understand.)

What I prefer about [sssad] over "memento" is that it's backend
agnostic. Memento for example is very much tied to [pool], while with
[sssad] you can (and have to) implement your own storage. You can use
[textfile], message boxes, [pool] or anything that can receive and
send messages. [sssad] just is a listening to what goes on in a patch
but doesn't touch the harddisk itself.

Oh, and forget about [state], it's only for number boxes and a state
of a patch is so much more than what's shown in number boxes, that
it's not worth bothering with [state] (unless you want to save number
box contents)

Ciao