[PD] standalone apps WAS: make money not art

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Jul 21 21:35:08 CEST 2008

Because app packages are so different for each platform, it wouldn't
really be feasible to make one Pd app format for all platforms.  It
seems for Windows that .bat is the best way.  WIth the soon-to-be-
released Pd-extended version on Mac OS X, you can make an standalone
app from the "File" menu.  I am now sketching out how to do this for
Debian.  Basically, it would make a .deb package out of your patches
and set up a .desktop file for things like a shortcut in the
Applications menu and automatically configure the dependencies.

.hc

On Jul 20, 2008, at 7:43 AM, raul diaz wrote:

> Hi List!
>
> Sorry for the delayed answer...
>
> I find really interesting marius' topic.
> I was fighting with standalone application with processing+pd, but
> I only made a *.bat file which runs processing executable and pd.
> This *.bat allows to specify any pd configurations (audio rate,
> libraries, gui/nogui, etc..).
> But the problem of this kind of standalone based on bat file is
> that is only available for windows.
>
> I haven't knowledge on binaries packages and distributions for
> different OS.
> But I suposse some people on this list would have some experience
> with this kind of binary data and distributions, and I would like
> to know its opinion about possibilities for pd+gem or pd+processing
> standalone applications.
>
> That's a wonderfull way to build really interesting sound
> applications with friendly and nice interfaces.
>
> I'll wait for your ideas!
>
> Saludos!
>

> 2008/7/10 Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>:
>
> On Jul 7, 2008, at 11:38 AM, Enrique Erne wrote:
>
> > marius schebella wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> has someone experience in distributing and probably selling pd
> >> standalones? I was thinking of a combination of flash interface (or
> >> Gem?) and sound patch.
> >> right now I think the best way to do this would be to create an
> >> executable application for every platform and architecture
> >> including the
> >> used external libraries. The patch would start up in -nogui mode,
> >> although I am not sure how to handle sound settings from within the
> >> application.
> >
> > hi marius
> >
> > i love the puredata&processing combunation that raul diaz has posted
> > what do you think about that?
> >
> > http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2008-06/062706.html
>

> That would also be a really cool example project for the SVG GUI
> toolkit that was on this list a few days ago.
>
> .hc

> --
> ----
>
>                   ¡El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!

> --
> Raul Diaz Poblete

----

'You people have such restrictive dress for women,’ she said,
hobbling away in three inch heels and panty hose to finish out
another pink-collar temp pool day.  - “Hijab Scene #2", by Mohja Kahf