[PD] [PD-announce] Pd-0.40.3-extended-rc2 released

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 15:56:58 CEST 2008

Ico Doornekamp wrote:

> * On 2008-07-22 marius schebella <marius.schebella at gmail.com> wrote  :
>
>> Frank Barknecht wrote:
>>> Hallo,

>>> $ python
>>> Python 2.4.4c0 (#2, Jul 30 2006, 15:43:58)
>>> [GCC 4.1.2 20060715 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-9)] on linux2
>>> Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>>> NameError: name 'sin' is not defined
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>>> NameError: name 'math' is not defined
>>> 0.47942553860420301
>>>
>>> Ciao
>> is this a good idea? pd comes with a set of tools, I don't see a reason
>> why I should import [bang] before I can use it. I (don't) want to be
>> treated like a child in a sandpit here:
>> "mummy, can I have the shovel?"
>> "say please"
>> "please can I have the shovel?"
>> "you know, my darling, this shovel is from toys "r" us... can you say,
>> mummy please can I have the shovel from toys "r" us?"
>> "please can I have the shovel from toys "r" us?"
>> "cutie! say thank you"
>> "thank you"
>> "kiss mummy!"
>> kiss...
>> marius.
>
> Or the other version:
>
> "mummy, can I have the shovel"
> "which shovel, dear, the red one or the blue one"
> "the blue one"
> "here you are dear"
>
> Next time, you'll learn to ask for one of the specific shovels right
> away: red/shovel or blue/shovel.

no, there is only one shovel, if I want to change the color, I send it a
message [color 13(. The above examples are bad schoolmasterly ways of
doing it. to me these conceptual and programming decisions are backround
informations that I don't want to hassle with as a user.
pushing the decision blue.shovel vs. red.shovel to the user is imho
conservative and uncreative. and btw any categorisation system is
outdated/wrong in so many cases.
I want to see pd more as a colloquial language that I can actually use,
as opposed to a philosophical one, where I have to explain every word.
communication.human.writtenlanguage.english.word.I
communication.human.writtenlanguage.english.word.will
communication.human.writtenlanguage.english.word.pack
communication.human.writtenlanguage.english.word.my
communication.human.writtenlanguage.english.word.us-corporate.apple.macbookpro.laptop
communication.human.writtenlanguage.english.word.and
communication.human.writtenlanguage.english.word.leave
communication.human.writtenlanguage.english.word.time.now.

marius.