[PD] Speed of messages (WII-OSC..etc)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Jul 22 23:41:33 CEST 2008

On Jul 12, 2008, at 8:25 AM, Luigi Rensinghoff wrote:

> Hi dear List
>
> I have a question regarding my Wiimote-OSC experiments.
>
> The wiimote data gets into PD via OSC, either through OSculator or
> through a linuxbox running the wiimote external.
>
> So i have problems computing really really fast movements from the
> wiimote and i would like to ask if somebody knows about the speed
> of messages, be it in OSC, PD or Osculator
>

> 1) What do you think is a reasonable message-rate for fast motion-
> data ? I have the impression i need to slow down the data (with
> speedlim, pipe or resample) to be able to process it
>      properly - any experience with that or recommendations ?

Pd can handle all of the data that the wiiremote sends, that is not a
problem, unless you are on a machine that is 300MHz or less, then it
might start to be too much.

> 2) What would you consider the bottleneck ?

Probably in the transmission rate and polling rate of bluetooth.

> 3) Could it be an advantage to transform incoming OSC-messages into
> a signal ? instead of dealing with floats ?

I doubt it.

> The idea behind it is to combine x-y IR Data from the wii with the
> accelleration data (Mapping accelleration to velocity, but catch
> the note from the IR-Position)
>
> Did anybody find a good solution for that ?

I'll bet there is code that does that already, but probably not in
Pd.  For example, in one of Johnny Chung Lee's projects.  You could
either grab some C code and make an external, or translate the code
into Pd.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/

.hc

> Thanks
>
> Luigi

> Luigi Rensinghoff
> luigi.rensinghoff at freenet.de
> skype:gigischinke
> ichat:gigicarlo

----

'You people have such restrictive dress for women,’ she said,
hobbling away in three inch heels and panty hose to finish out
another pink-collar temp pool day.  - “Hijab Scene #2", by Mohja Kahf