[PD] print all abstractions and externals

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Jul 22 23:53:02 CEST 2008

On Jul 11, 2008, at 2:24 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> IOhannes m zmoelnig hat gesagt: // IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> João Pais wrote:
>>> I meant the latest usable (which I have installed) builds of
>>> pd-extended, and the last version of
>>> pd-vanilla-without-documentation-about-data-strucutures-and-so-on
>>> (also
>>> being unfair).
>>> I haven't being using pd too much these days for sound, but in
>>> the last
>>> builds of pd-ext I didn't notice anything that was behind pd-van.
>>> before
>>> I was using pd-van .41 because of the symbol grab feature in the
>>> data
>>> structures (which I only know about because I requested it, it's not
>>> documented). as this feature is now possible in the current build of
>>> pd-ext, I notice no differences between them.
>>
>> ok, but this seems to be a bit subjective evaluation.
>
> To add a rant to the subjective evaluation: For an installation I
> currently have to run Pd on a Mac.  We chose pd-extended as it has a
> good integration into OS-X, and as some of the other installations
> that will be shown on that machine need the externals pd-extended has
> included.
>
> I don't need many externals, but the most important one isn't missing
> in pd-extended: pdlua, but as a "hardcore user" I could install it.
>
> But here we stumbled over another important difference between 0.40
> and 0.41:
>
> EXTERN void class_set_extern_dir(t_symbol *s);
>
> was introduced to m_pd.h in 0.41, iirc. At least it's missing in 0.40.
>
> This function is used by pdlua to find lua-modules in the patch's
> directory instead of in the LUAPATH only, which becomes more important
> because it's overly complicated to start pd on OS-X (and on
> MS-Windows) from the command line in a certain working directory as
> I'm used to from Linux.
>
> Somehow I didn't manage to make the package.path trick work, which I
> myself suggested as a fix once on pd-list, so in the end we copied
> every lua-module to /usr/local/share/lua/5.1.
>
> As this installation involves 80-channel output, we also run jack, and
> cross our fingers that everything will hold up. In general I must say,
> working on the bloated OS-X is no joy for someone used to a snappy
> lean Linux system. If only the Fireface would support Linux...

Hear, hear!  I also recently had to use Mac OS X for an installation,
that's why I wrote the "standalone app" generator.  But I missed
using Debian.  It is so helpful to be able to uninstall every single
piece of software that isn't necessary.  The NY Times installation is
the perfect example: it was a Linux kernel, busybox, Python and Pd.
And basically nothing else :D

.hc