[PD] finding the cause of clicks when using sssad WAS: saving state of a patch

Phil Stone pkstone at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jul 23 16:54:03 CEST 2008

Hi Hans,

I don't think this is anything to do with sssad, really.  It is due to
Pd's lack of a threaded file loader/saver.  The way I understand it (and
this is borne out by my experience), if a file operation cannot complete
within one dsp cycle, the next dsp cycle is delayed until after the file
operation completes, thus causing dropouts.

Ram disks help (with files that are not too big) because they speed up
the file operation to the point where it can happen safely within one
dsp period.

This has been discussed many times on the list without any hope of
change, but it would be so great for Pd's use in live performance if
some tasks could be relegated to a background thread.  Or, to put it
another way, the dsp engine should have highest priority at all times.

Phil Stone
pkstonemusic.com