[PD] Idiomatic Pdync-mailbox><next-undeleted><enter-command>set editor="vim -f +7 -s ~/.vim/mail.scr "

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Jul 29 10:05:08 CEST 2008

Hallo,
Matt Barber hat gesagt: // Matt Barber wrote:

> A related topic is: in general, if there's an adequate solution with
> an abstraction, should one use it rather than an external?  Does this
> change in pedagogical situations where a student might profit in
> learning from a rather sparse set of unit generators?  Does this
> change when performance is required above all? etc. etc.

Unless performance becomes an issue I always prefer abstractions or
pure-Pd idioms over externals when possible. Of course sometimes it's
not possible, but for example I generally use

  [list prepend 0]

  [route 0 1 2 3]

instead of [demux 4] and [f 0]X[+ 1] instead of some [counter]
external as that makes it easier for other people to run my patches
(and for me to run my patches on different machines).

> Another related topic -- for GOP abstractions, is it bad form to cover
> the abstraction name and arguments with a canvas?  What if these
> things are printed as labels on canvases?

I usually leave some room for the abstraction's names and arguments.
If I really want to hide it (e.g. in a [sssad]-enabled slider clone
which otherwise should look like a normal slider) I use the "Hide
object name and arguments" property.

> Thanks for the great suggestion about a style guide, though -- it
> would be especially helpful to newcomers and students.  Things like
> "decouple number boxes and bangs used for debugging from the workings
> of the patch" I feel are almost essential examples of efficient and
> "proper" pd patching.  And early, strong, and repetitive grounding in
> [trigger].

I guess we could agree that fanning connections generally are an
indicator of bad style and should make people feel physically
uncomfortable. ;)

Ciao