[PD] Idiomatic Pd

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Jul 29 17:39:29 CEST 2008

Hallo,
Matt Barber hat gesagt: // Matt Barber wrote:

> Yes, I am this way too -- but with font sizes sometimes being
> different from one platform to the next, and even between extended and
> vanilla, it's really hard to ensure that things will line up sweetly
> every time you open it, everywhere.

A lot can be had with at least left-aligning connected objects. You
get a clean left side, which is the important side of most Pd objects
because of the hot inlet there. Then even if something like the "a"s
in your [t b a a a a] aren't aligned anymore because of
platform/version issues, you still have the clear layout of the main
logic flow to the left.

It's also good to leave a bit more room to the right of objects and
comments to avoid overlapping boxes. I think, Pd-extended runs quite a
bit narrower than Pd-vanilla with a 10px font on Linux, which is what
I use. (I'm guilty of not leaving enough room to the right myself,
though.)

> When 0.39 begins to wane (so [declare] can be used),  ...

Careful here: [declare -path ...] is disabled inside of abstractions
in Pd-0.41.

Ciao