[PD] Idiomatic Pd

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jul 30 01:47:30 CEST 2008

On Jul 29, 2008, at 4:29 PM, Matt Barber wrote:

>>> When 0.39 begins to wane (so [declare] can be used),  ...
>>
>> Careful here: [declare -path ...] is disabled inside of abstractions
>> in Pd-0.41.
>>

> Right -- but [declare -path ...] is terribly useful for not having a
> patch's main directory cluttered with 100 abstractions, which was the
> main point... but since 0.39 is still widely in use I tend to avoid it
> unless it's for patches I know only I am going to be running.  I guess
> it's okay to be conservative in some parts of life.  =o)
>
> OT -- out of curiosity, if it were to be enabled within an
> abstraction, would the -path be relative to the abstraction file or to
> the patch in which it's instantiated?

The relative path stuff seems to be a can of worms that is more
trouble that it is worth, IMHO.  But in order to make sure it doesn't
make things more complicated, the path declared by [declare -path]
would have to be same absolute path everywhere it is used.

I think the simplest solution is to make the only option be loading
libraries and setting the global search path.  Then use a unified
library format that is very easy to setup.  That's the goal with libdir.