[PD] pix_record -> pix_film plays back too fast

Spencer Russell spencer.f.russell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 08:53:49 CEST 2008

Thanks for the Apple Intermediate suggestion, that definitely improved
the situation. It's still having a hard time, though, so I feel like I
must be doing something wrong. A dual core Macbook pro should be able
to encode and store one 640x480 video stream at 20fps no problem,
right? Activity monitor doesn't show my CPU peaking out, but I'm still
getting dropped frames in the recording which cause the playback to be
out of sync, so maybe it's some sort of hard drive throughput problem?

I'll try to put together an example patch of my approach, but this
show opens on Friday, so things are pretty hectic right now and it
might be working "good enough" [sic] that I might focus on some other
problems.

Is it generally better to use [auto 1( or a metro for recording using
[pix_record] and playback using [pix_film(, if all I want to do is
record and playback at normal speed with some effects on both ends?

Thanks a bundle,
spencer

PS If you're in NYC come see the show! It's called "There Will Be Soft
Rains" and it consists of 3 adaptations of Sci Fi short stories. There
are puppets from the people who did this year's Hamlet in Central
Park, and live sampled-video projection madness running off of PD/GEM!
email me for show dates, etc.