[PD] variables in throw~

Damian Stewart damian at frey.co.nz
Tue Aug 5 09:36:56 CEST 2008

Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Where is this set-ability documented? Now I'd like to do kinda the same
> with dac~, but that doesn't work:
>
> [set 4(
> [dac~ 1]
>
> Naturally a bit more elaborate in real life, bit the idea is to have an
> abstraction output to some channel in dac based on creation arguments...

try the attached patch.. note, you can put the [r~]-[dac~] block anywhere,
it doesn't have to be in the same patch.

> What's different about dac~ compared to throw~, where can I read about
> it, and how can I do what I'm trying to (set the channel of dac~)?

[dac~] is for connecting to the soundcard - best practise is probably to
have only one [dac~] object in your whole patch of patches, because then
you can do nice things like have a master volume control.

[throw~] and [catch~] on the other hand are for routing signals.

imagine the [dac~] as your master mixing desk and P/A, and [throw~] and
[catch~] (and [r~] and [s~]) as audio signal cables connecting your various
bits of gear.

damian stewart | +31 6 8178 5197 |  damian at frey.co.nz
frey | live art with machines | http://www.frey.co.nz