[PD] netpd server crashes

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Fri Aug 8 21:12:00 CEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 08:25 -0500, John Harrison wrote:
> My interest has been piqued by netpd and a bunch of us here have been
> playing with it. It's pretty fantastic --- there's only one caveat,
> which is that the netpd server crashes and pretty easily at that. I've
> seen the netpd.org server crash a bunch of times now. I downloaded and
> installed the server patch on an ubuntu Gutsy machine and that crashes
> similarly. I looked at the patch --- nothing too complex. I suspect
> there is nothing wrong with the patch itself.
>
> I'm suspecting the problem is with netserver, written by Olaf Matthes .
> I suspect this because netsend~ and netreceive~ crash in my use in
> similar ways to what I am seeing now with netpd --- Olaf Matthes wrote
> those too. I was wondering if anybody could confirm or refute that
> netserver is what is crashing netpd. It would be great if we fixed this.
> In general I think we have a problem with some externals involving
> network communication and if we fixed this in several of the externals
> maybe we would solve a bunch of problems at once. I might be up for a
> shot at it myself.

hi john

what you describe is known to us, but unfortunately i didn't find a way
to solve it by myself. also the netpd-server patch running on netpd.org
crashes from time to time. i am not absolutely sure about the reason and
i also tried to debug it by running pd within gdb. therefor i compiled
millers pd, zexy and maxlib (the dependencies of the server patch) with
debug symbols, but unfortunately it still didn't show me the symbols of
the point where it crashed. i am not too familiar with these tools, so
probably i made something wrong.
from my experience i can at least confirm, that most likely [netserver]
from maxlib is the trouble maker. from what i can tell, crashes happen
more likely, if several clients disconnect without saying 'adieu'.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol#Connection_termination )
this happens, when internet connection of a client suddenly is lost or
if pd of a client crashes. sometimes it doesn't crash for months, when
all clients have good connection (an they don't crash too often).
i would be interested to know, what conditions are needed to crash
pd/server-patch on your box. does it behave the same? if so, i wonder if
[netserver] really complies with tcp. i also wonder what host is
supposed to do if only one end point finishes the connection (and this
what happens, if a client crashes, i suppose).

> P.S. Some of us tuned in for the netpd jam that we thought happens every
> Thursday at 22:00 CEST. Nobody was there except us. Is this just old
> outdated info?
> http://www.netpd.org/Schedule

yo.. i am very sorry. we are (i should rather say: i am) sometimes quite
lazy and undisciplined people. actually it is supposed to still be
actual, but during the last weeks there wasn't much traffic and we often
dropped the sessions (and i was also more busy than usual). but yeah,
lets have jam sessions. probably inform us by mail, if you know
beforehand that you are going to have a session. i would like to join.
there is also this other happening every second tuesday of the month,
where we have our session broadcasted on an internet radio
(http://audioasyl.net). usually we are three or more people there.

roman