[PD] sequencer app for osx

Martin Schied crinimal at gmx.net
Sun Aug 10 20:39:23 CEST 2008

I'm also looking for various midi and OSC sequencers (not only for pd)
at the moment and have found some promising and some not-so promising
applications:

-Promising:
Ardour is going to support midi (currently only in svn) - didn't try it
yet, but I will do soon. Interface looks very usable on screenshots.

Midi editing in EnergyXT2 was also fine - but it can't send midi until
now as far as i know. It's nonfree (about 50$):
piano roll, with blocks: yes
drag start and end points to control noteon/noteoff points: yes
(doubleclick creates new notes)
quantize to a grid of any size you want (and off): yes hot-key: yes
lines down the bottom control velocity: yes
super-intuitive scroll: yes (mouswheel + keyboard)
super-intuitive zoom: yes, but no vertical zoom (?)
ability of fullscreen editing in a separate window: yes, but I wasn't
able to expand distinct tracks, but I think that's possible too.

Qtractor seemed to be very usable too in current version (0.2.0, build
2008/08/10):
piano roll, with blocks: yes
drag start and end points to control noteon/noteoff points: yes
quantize to a grid of any size you want (and off): yes hot-key: no (or i
didn't find it)
lines down the bottom control velocity: yes
super-intuitive scroll: yes (mouswheel + keyboard)
super-intuitive zoom: yes, but no mouse-wheel-shortcut
ability of fullscreen editing in a separate window

Currently I'm using Mackie Tracktion (using wine under Linux) for midi
recording and editing, but its GUI is too CPU consuming for bigger
projects.
piano roll, with blocks: yes
drag start and end points to control noteon/noteoff points: yes
quantize to a grid of any size you want (and off): no fixed gridsize,
but changing gridsize at different zoom-levels (very intuitive) hot-key:
yes
lines down the bottom control velocity: yes
super-intuitive scroll: yes (mouswheel + keyboard)
super-intuitive zoom: yes
ability of fullscreen editing in a separate window: no

-Working but not my flavour of using a Sequencer (didn't try velocity
editing and shortcuts)
Rosegarden
MusE

-Not so promising: