[PD] how to use [tcpserver] in a non-OSC context?

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Thu Aug 14 00:51:53 CEST 2008

Bryan Jurish wrote:
> moin Martin, moin Roman,
>
> On 2008-08-13 19:25:20, Martin Peach <martin.peach at sympatico.ca> appears
> to have written:
>> Roman Haefeli wrote:

>> Yes, maybe a [serialize] and [unserialize] would be a good idea.
>> [unserialize] would take a list of integer floats, interpret them as
>> ascii,  and convert it to a single symbol, and [serialize] would take a
>> symbol and convert it to a list of integer floats on [0..255].
>> Converting floats and lists raises problems though (should a float be
>> converted to its ascii or binary representation? How to tell if a list
>> of floats is meant to be decoded as symbols or floats?).
>>
>> I think [moocow/any2string] and [moocow/string2any] already do this,
>
> yep, that's pretty much exactly what they do, except [string2any]
> outputs a list, rather than a single symbol (...but you can always patch
> it into [list2symbol] from zexy if you need a single symbol).  for
> non-symbol arguments, [any2string] does whatever t_binbuf does (probably
> truncating floats, performing dollar-substitutions, etc...).
>
>> but
>> I can't tell right now because they don't seem to be in my Pd
>> 0.40.3-extended-20080719, or I'm not looking in the right place.
>
> looking at the debian-stable and debian-testing debs  from 2008-07-19,
> they ought to live in /usr/lib/pd/extra/moocow/any2string.pd_linux rsp.
> /usr/lib/pd/extra/moocow/any2string.pd_linux.  the only pd-extended
> system on which my externals still don't build in windoof/mingw32,
> because that box is still using a broken version of make.  what system
> are you using, Martin?

Yes I was using WinXP. I also have an Ubuntu machine which does have the
moocow objects.
I wonder what it is about those objects that makes them difficult to
compile on Windows...I just looked through any2string.c and it looks
like an ordinary source file for a pd external, except for the debug
macro A2SDEBUG and the PACKAGE_VERSION, which should probably be defined
in a header file, not the makefile.

Martin