[PD] preferences for abstractions

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Aug 17 11:56:53 CEST 2008

Hallo,
marius schebella hat gesagt: // marius schebella wrote:

> here is the problem that I am trying to address: I have a lot of
> arguments that I want to pass to an abstraction, and I don't want them
> all listed as arguments, which is confusingly ugly and eats up a lot of
> space.
> they are kind of "settings" and should be attached to each abstraction.
> For the project I am working on right now, I guess I will go with some
> hack (adding one ID as argument, that refers to a textfile or table that
> holds the settings).

Why not use a real state saving system like [sssad] then? I don't
consider ID'ing an abstraction with a unique $1 a hack, it's a very
useful approach to control an abstraction's settings remotely and is
well supported by [sssad]. It's even a lot more flexible than storing
all settings in arguments. If you create [sssad /somesetting $0] inside
an abstraction you even get local state saving for abstractions (in the
newest version of sssad). I recently combined that with the [dispatcher]
abstraction that I posted here some time ago [1] with good results. Will
post it as soon as my broken harddisk is restored.

[1] http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2007-03/048303.html

Ciao
--
Frank Barknecht