[PD] pd and IFS

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Sat Aug 23 01:01:12 CEST 2008

Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:
> chi ball wrote:
>> Hi,
>> is there a patch using Iterated Function Systems (IFS) ?
>
> You want to implement an IFS in Pd?
>
> I think that's a bad idea (unless you want it to be very slow, passing
> messages between different objects is not something you want to do
> 100000+ times per frame).
>
> Having said that, I did try it, but didn't have much luck: I did
> something like:
>
> [gemhead]
> [t a a a]
> [GEMglEnd] [repeat 10000] [GEMglBegin]\[glDefine GL_POINTS]
>             [GEMglVertex3f]
>
> but I got GL errors and no image, can't remember the exact message now
> though.

I realize now my mistake: trying to use [translate]/[scale]/[rotate] in
the wrong context, oops - have to calculate vertex coordinates manually.

Attached is a working IFS (for Gem and zexy), should give you some hints
on how to play the chaos game.  Starts to look fun at 10000 vertices per
frame...

Claude