[PD] pasted objects now end up under the original object

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 18:19:36 CEST 2008

Max Neupert wrote:
> i think it's worth it to look at how some other applications handle it.

one of the biggest problems with copy/paste right now in pd is, that if
you copy a large amount of objects and you want to move them, but miss
to click on a selected object, and instead move another objects which is
close to a selected one, then you 1) unselect all copied objects and 2)
move the wrong object. in this case, you can only  undo the last action
(moving the wrong object), and end up with a big mess of copied objects
at places where you don't want them.

in this case, it would be better to confirm the copying with the enter
key, or draw a dashed selection line around the whole copied region and
as long as you click within that region you are able to move the pasted
objects.

max btw copies with an offset, similar to ctrl+d. one nice feature in
max, if you use ctrl+d to duplicate an object, and you drag it for
example to a spot 1cm right of the object that you copied from, then, if
you hit ctrl+d again, max remembers the relative offset and will place
the next copied object using the same relative information (in this case
1cm right of the second instance).

and another nice max feature related to patching: holding the shift key
in max when you connect two objects will connect to the object, but then
automatically allow you another connection from the same origin. a new
cord connection from the original outlet is created and you just have to
click on the next inlet that should be connected to the same outlet.

marius.