[PD] pasted objects now end up under the original object

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 01:24:39 CEST 2008

On Mon, Sep 1, 2008 at 9:47 AM, Jack <jack at rybn.org> wrote:

> With Flash you copy using : command-c
> you paste in the center of your doc using : command-v
> you paste in place using : command-shift-v
> I like the command-d under Pd to duplicate because it is easy to
> align using shift-arrow keys.
> ++

It sounds like these are pretty standard across Adobe's products, as these
sound like all the keyboard command used in all their other graphics
products...

Mike

> Jack
>

> Le 1 sept. 08 à 13:17, Miller Puckette a écrit :
>
> > Another possibility would be to use command-shift-paste to paste
> > and immediately
> > go into the "stick" state.  I think I might have to try a few
> > different
> > ways to see which is most natural.

> > On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 01:09:49PM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> >> Hallo,

> >> What about this idea/specification for a possible smart placement:
> >>
> >> 1) user presses Ctl-C and copies objects from coordinates (xc,yc)
> >>
> >> 2) user presses Ctl-V, mouse is at (xm, ym)
> >>
> >> 3) Objects get pasted at position: (xc, yc) - the original
> >> coordinates -
> >> but they don't get "anchored" yet.
> >>
> >> Now comes the new part:
> >>
> >> 4.1 a) If user moves the mouse now, the objects move to the mouse
> >> coordinates (xm, ym) and they "stick" to the mouse from that point
> >> on,
> >> until the next click.
> >>
> >> 4.1 b) Alternatively one could enter the "sticky" phase only if
> >> the user
> >> clicks the mouse, i.e. as soon as the user after step 3) clicks
> >> into the
> >> canvas, the objects move to the mouse position and stay selected for
> >> mouse movement until the button is released at which point the
> >> objects
> >> are anchored and possibly deselected. Deselecting could also
> >> require a
> >> second click. I like b) better than a): it contains less surprises.
> >>
> >> 4.2)  This alternate path is taken, if the user doesn't use the
> >> mouse,
> >> but the cursor keys instead after step 3): The objects move
> >> relative to
> >> their new position at (xc, yc). They are still selected.  Mouse
> >> movements don't affect their position anymore, mouse clicks will
> >> deselect the objects. That's basically the old, non-smart placement,
> >> which has its uses, too.

> >> Yes, that's good.
> >>
> >> Ciao
> >> --
> >> Frank

Peace may sound simple—one beautiful word— but it requires everything we
have, every quality, every strength, every dream, every high ideal.
—Yehudi Menuhin (1916–1999), musician