[PD] Setting a variable in abstractions

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Wed Sep 3 22:55:12 CEST 2008

Hi Simone,

I'm guessing that the slider which is attached to the [ctlin] in the
parent patch sends to [handson] abstraction. In the future, it's usually
better to zip up the whole patch that you have questions about, rather
than send a screen shot with potentially hidden information.

But to answer your question: there's no real need to make two levels of
abstractions here. Replace the two inlets in [handson] with [f $1] and
[f $2] connected to a loadbang. And replace the slider with [ctlin $3 $4].

Then you can replace [handson1 -11 0] with [handson -11 0 80 1]. The CC
you mention is actually two values, as in [ctlin 80 1] that must be
parsed before the actual controller data will come through.

The other way to do it would be to make a [send CC1], [send CC2], etc
etc below the [ctlin] objects, and include a [receive $1] in each
[handson] abstraction, in which case you could create it as [handson -11
0 CC1].

Of course, the other suggestions in this thread are also useful, but in
a more general way ;-)

best!
d.

--