[PD] Random - Different seed each time the patch is loaded

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Sep 4 19:14:20 CEST 2008

Ignacio Viano wrote:
> I want many (let's say 10) [random] objects that give different series
> of numbers each time the patch is loaded (of course, the 10 [random]
> give different series from each other). I tried using [time] and [date]
> objects to generate different seeds, but the same seed (different on
> each load) is given to the 10 [random]. I tried using a mix of [date],
> [time] and [realtime], but it's quite unreliable. Any ideas?

the problem is of course, that when opening your patch everything
happens at the same logical time; so seeding your [random]s with [time]
(and the like), you will actually seed them all with the same seed, thus
producing the same series in all instances of [random].
using [time]+[realtime] should in theory work;
another idea would be to add a different offset to the basic [time]
derived seed for each [random]: so all seeds are different (though
related), which should work fine.

the really nice solution would be to use a [time]seeded [random] to
generate the seeds for the other [random]s.

fgmasrd
IOhannes