[PD] earplug~ or FIR~ for HRTF?

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Sat Sep 6 15:45:47 CEST 2008

Nicholas Mariette wrote:
> IEM's bin_ambi is a sophisticated binaural rendering system via higher
> order Ambisonic spatialisation to virtual speaker arrays.
> http://iem.at/Members/noisternig/bin_ambi
>
> FIR~ is very CPU intensive for HRTF processing.  It's much better to use
> frequency domain convolution with fft~ & ifft~ which is the case with
> bin_ambi.

I've had a look through the files in the pure-data svn at sf.net, but I
can't seem to find a complete example of how to use it.  It seems very
complicated to understand how all the pieces fit together.

So if anyone has a complete example for something like this:

     source1~ position1 source2~ position2 ....
      |        |         |        |
     [some combination of iem voodoo objects ...]
      |  |
     [dac~]
      :  :
     binaural stereo

I would appreciate it a great deal.

> I've listed some publicly available HRTF sets on my blog here:
> http://blog.soundsorange.net/2005/11/09/hrtf/

Thanks, that's a useful resource (some of the links are dead by now,
though).

> Nick

Claude