[PD] select audio & midi from patch

tim info at timvets.net
Sun Sep 7 20:40:35 CEST 2008

On Sun, 2008-09-07 at 20:05 +0200, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> hi svend
>
> you can send some message to [s pd] to change sound and midi settings.
> those messages aren't documented anywhere, though (is that correct?).
> however, you could do the following:
>
> [r pd]
> |
> [print settings]
>
> then go the menu, choose your settings and hit <ok> and you will see
> some output. write the output to a [messagebox( (separate each line with
> a comma), which is connected to [s pd] and bang the
> [messagebox( whenever you like to restore those exact settings.
>
> with a bit of playing around, you might be able to figure out, what each
> number in the message is used for. then you would be able to compose
> correct messages without using the above hack.
>
> roman

hello,

A while ago I had a related problem, (iirc, starting pd with -alsamidi
flag didn't show the midi ports to aconnect rightaway)

I did this:
use [r pd]--[print] to see what pd gets sent when you click the menu,
and use pd -alsamidi -send "; pd ...whatever the message was"

so my start-up command looked somewhat like this:
pd -alsamidi -send "; pd midi-dialog 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 1"

It did _not_ work when I tried it inside the pd patch with a [message(,
but only by putting this in the start-up command.

gr,
Tim