[PD] Random - Different seed each time the patch is loaded

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Sep 8 09:34:18 CEST 2008

Charles Henry wrote:
> In a way~, it's not so straightforward.  Let's say the random
> generators are identical and seeded by another identical random
> generator with no further modifications.  Then, all the other random
> generators are correlated--using the same sequence, but with slightly
> different starting points within that sequence.

btw, this is how Pd's random generator (and [noise~], btw) works anyhow:
there is only a single built-in pseudo-random sequence and all you can
modify is the starting point.

but you are right insofar as my original suggestion of using one
[random] to seed the other [random]s probably exposes this problem more
than other approaches (incrementing the seed by one for each instance).

my last suggestion was about using a _single_ [random] and query that
from all instances of [myrandom]; which should behave way batter (i think)

fgmasdr
IOhannes