[PD] tcpclient sending more than 1 send at once

Enrique Erne enrique at netpd.org
Mon Sep 8 21:19:22 CEST 2008

Martin Peach wrote:
> Roman Haefeli wrote:
>> Martin Peach wrote:
>>> Yes, and [unpackOSC] has no way of knowing if it is getting data from
>>> UDP or TCP so it should probably assume the worst and go for TCP. In
>>> fact, to be unbreakably robust it should assume it is getting input one
>>> byte at a time and not output anything until either an entire OSC packet
>>> has been received or the packet is not valid OSC.
>> this is how i would like [unpackOSC] to behave. i don't see any other
>> way to do OSC over tcp.
>>

> I think opening a bundle and putting all the simultaneous messages in it,
> then closing the bundle and sending it, will work over tcp.

i did some test sending a file (over localhost). the limit seems to be
at 65536. my test file is 49474 but i usually received 2 packets, rarely
one single packet with 49474 bytes, sometimes even 3 packets.

i guess this behaves the same for normal send messages (not whole files)
it could be a real problem since we can't really tell if a bundle is
complete.

eni