[PD] tcpclient sending more than 1 send at once

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon Sep 8 21:49:50 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 15:19 -0400, Enrique Erne wrote:
> Martin Peach wrote:
> > Roman Haefeli wrote:
> >> this is how i would like [unpackOSC] to behave. i don't see any other
> >> way to do OSC over tcp.
> >>

> > I think opening a bundle and putting all the simultaneous messages in it,
> > then closing the bundle and sending it, will work over tcp.
> >

> i did some test sending a file (over localhost). the limit seems to be
> at 65536. my test file is 49474 but i usually received 2 packets, rarely
> one single packet with 49474 bytes, sometimes even 3 packets.
>
> i guess this behaves the same for normal send messages (not whole files)
> it could be a real problem since we can't really tell if a bundle is
> complete.

i did a similar test with OSC bundles. it turned out, that you cannot
rely on the packet becoming one single list on the receiver side. if it
was splitted into two or more tcp packets during tcp transport, the OSC
bundle becomes broken.

now i am rather more convinced, that any solution based on tcp packets
instead of a tcp stream is not going to work.

roman