[PD] tcpclient sending more than 1 send at once

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 8 22:41:33 CEST 2008

Roman Haefeli wrote:
>i did a similar test with OSC bundles. it turned out, that you cannot
>rely on the packet becoming one single list on the receiver side. if it
>was splitted into two or more tcp packets during tcp transport, the OSC
>bundle becomes broken.
>
>now i am rather more convinced, that any solution based on tcp packets
>instead of a tcp stream is not going to work.

I still don't know what you are trying to do so I can't say.
If you are sending huge amounts of data constantly you really shouldn't be
using OSC at all.
You could make your own protocol that sends the length of the packet as the
first three or four or even more bytes and then use the list objects to chop
the stream into pieces. But Pd is really inefficient for this because it's
going to convert every single one of your billion bytes into a symbol and
put it in memory somewhere.

Martin