[PD] Using [import] [was: Re: sending OSC bundles. + help files?]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Fri Sep 12 20:45:15 CEST 2008

Hallo,
Phil Stone hat gesagt: // Phil Stone wrote:

> I apologize for following-up my own post, but this is a fairly important
> point, and I think it needs clarification.  I'm about to release an
> abstraction, and I used [import] to eliminate a few dozen [mrpeach/...]
> style invocations of Martin Peach's OSC objects.  Up until now, my
> abstraction would work with vanilla Pd if a couple of externals/libs
> were included (mrpeach being one of them).  Have I now completely
> blocked out any vanilla Pd users by using [import]?

AFAIK [import] is an external, for vanilla users it would just be an
additional dependency to install.

Another problem, maybe bigger problem, is that using [import] like in
pd-extended requires a certain directory layout. For example to make
[import mrpeach] work in that it makes [routeOSC] availabe, pd-vanilla
users not only need [import], they also have to put
routeOSC.pd_linux|dll|... into a directory "mrpeach" in their path (e.g.
into "extra") to let [import mrpeach] actually load [routeOSC].

But the problem is not as big as I make it. E.g. vanilla users could use
an empty abstraction import.pd and keep Martin's objects in the Pd-path
directly.  They are available as [routeOSC],... directly then. Having the
empty import.pd will make Pd shut up when [import mrpeach] is used and
you could use [routeOSC] without prefix just fine. You could not use
[mrpeach/routeOSC] then, but you don't want to anyway. ;)

Ciao
--
Frank Barknecht