[PD] receive from multiple symbols in an external (using pd_bind)

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Sat Sep 13 22:47:22 CEST 2008

Jacob Lee wrote:
> For example,
> if I do:
> pd_bind(&x->x_obj.ob_pd, gensym("a"));
> pd_bind(&x->x_obj.ob_pd, gensym("b"));
>
> and create corresponding [s a] and [s b] objects, I will receive
> messages sent via those objects -- but there is no indication which
> came from which.

Proxies!  pdlua has an implementation that seems to work for me, there
might be a better way to implement it for a C-based external though.

svn co https://code.goto10.org/svn/maximus/pdlua pdlua

> The complicated workaround is to create a new object for each symbol I
> want to receive on. But before I pursue that (tedious and difficult)
> route, is there a more straightforward way to accomplish this?

Yeah, it's not ideal, but this proxy solution isn't so tedious if you
make it generic enough, which isn't too hard.

Maybe there should be a libpdutils for such common tasks, pending
inclusion into pd?

> Thanks,

Claude
--