[PD] Using [import] [was: Re: sending OSC bundles. + help files?]

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Sep 15 09:34:29 CEST 2008

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Phil Stone hat gesagt: // Phil Stone wrote:
>
>> were included (mrpeach being one of them).  Have I now completely
>> blocked out any vanilla Pd users by using [import]?

no

> AFAIK [import] is an external, for vanilla users it would just be an
> additional dependency to install.
>
> Another problem, maybe bigger problem, is that using [import] like in
> pd-extended requires a certain directory layout. For example to make

well, not really; the user just assumes a certain directory layout; due
to loads of fallbacks you might not notice that you have a different
layout in several cases (in others you might have weird effects though)

> [import mrpeach] work in that it makes [routeOSC] availabe, pd-vanilla
> users not only need [import], they also have to put
> routeOSC.pd_linux|dll|... into a directory "mrpeach" in their path (e.g.
> into "extra") to let [import mrpeach] actually load [routeOSC].

well, yes and now.
as said above, there is always the fallback thing.
having [import mrpeach] without a "mrpeach" directory will (at the
worst) give you a warning (or error?). nevertheless Pd will still find
[routeOSC] if it lives in extra/ (or somewhere else in the path of pd)

on pd-vanilla you could either get the "import"-external, make a dummy
[import], or just ignore the error about "import".

this all sounds much more complicated than it is.

> But the problem is not as big as I make it. E.g. vanilla users could use
> an empty abstraction import.pd and keep Martin's objects in the Pd-path
> directly.  They are available as [routeOSC],... directly then. Having the
> empty import.pd will make Pd shut up when [import mrpeach] is used and
> you could use [routeOSC] without prefix just fine. You could not use
> [mrpeach/routeOSC] then, but you don't want to anyway. ;)

imho, using things like [mrpeach/routeOSC] is the way to break your
patches second most surely.
using [import] should give you the least trouble (until [declare] is
somehow workable!)

fgmadsfr
IOhannes