[PD] New version of plugin~

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Sep 18 09:47:49 CEST 2008

Jacob Lee wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 3:23 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:
>> Jacob Lee wrote:
>>> As hinted at in an earlier email (thanks for the help!), I have a new
>>> version of plugin~. It supports two new messages:
>>>
>>> bind foo - listens for messages sent to foo-gain, foo-drive, etc. You
>>> can bind sliders, sssad objects, etc. to the same names and have
>>> everything just work.
>>>
>>> bindscaled foo - the same, but translates messages from the 0-127
>> as 0-127 is really only because of MIDI, i would suggest using "bindmidi" or
>> "bindmidiscaled" (of "bind7bitbecauseofmidiandlongnamessuck")
>>
>> in general i think we should use 0..1 for normalized ranges as much as
>> possible (and as is used in the "mapping" library)
>>

> Hmm. Besides midi, the advantage of 0-127 is that it's the default
> range for sliders. Of course, it's not hard to add [/ 127] and a send

yes it's true; and i think it is the top of all the incorrect decisions
in the design of the sliders (even worse than the built-in scale-distortion)

imho, a newly designed object should be able to handle legacy designs as
far as "easily" possible, but it shouldn't be designed with legacy in
mind. (or however one would phrase this - it's still early in the morning)

> below the message, but at that point you might as well replace the
> division with a proper range conversion and add a [control foo $1(.
> Accepting the range 0-127 means requiring nothing more than named
> sliders.

indeed, but in order to name sliders one has to open the properties
anyhow...

> Another possibility is to accept messages like "bindscaled 0 127";
> we'd still have to argue about the default, but the stakes would be
> lower.

i thikn that's a good idea.
obviously i would vote for the default to be 0..1

fgnasdr
IOhannes