[PD] [PD-announce] new polyphonic granular synthesizer for Pd

Phil Stone pkstone at ucdavis.edu
Thu Sep 18 17:49:17 CEST 2008

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Phil Stone hat gesagt: // Phil Stone wrote:
>

>> I'm pleased to announce the availability of [polygrainsynth], a
>> polyphonic granular synthesizer built on the [a_grain] abstraction
>> written by Jamie Bullock.  Much like its older sibling [polywavesynth],
>> [polygrainsynth] does automatic allocation and management of n voices,
>> where n is limited only by your available processing power.
>>

> That's very nice, and has exemplary documentation!

Thank you, Frank.  The object wouldn't have been possible without
[polypoly] and several other of your excellent contributions.

> I didn't look at the internals yet, but it occured to me, that the
> dependency on OSC probably could be factored out (if you'd want to) by
> using Pd's standard [route]. The control messages would look like:
> "(name) grain env atk 12" then and would include a tree of [route]s.
> To make that OSC-targetable one could use a separate abstraction. The
> disadvantage would be that one looses pattern matching.

That's an intriguing idea.  I *do* like the pattern matching, but it's
not necessary at the interior level of the synthesizers.  I wonder what
the performance differences are, if any, between [routeOSC] and [route]?

It's tempting, because with your recent work towards a vanilla-ready
filter, it's getting more likely that [svf~] could be replaced with
something non-external, and then my synthesizers could be completely
external-free.

Phil
www.pkstonemusic.com