[PD] declare [was: Re: Idiomatic Pd]

Luke Iannini lukexipd at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 13:54:21 CEST 2008

Hallo,
I'm just adding my voice to the choir here before falling asleep after
playing with this in my setup tonight - I definitely think [declare
-path] should be re-enabled inside abstractions, and should be
relative to the abstraction's file location.

My goal is to remove all directories from the global path because I
discovered the ~40 that come with Pd-extended plus the other 15 I
added personally were playing a very significant role in the rapidly
increasing (now ~15 minute) loadtime of my large performance patch.

My layout (in a cartoon rendering) is something like this:
Drum-modules/
Datastructure-abs/
MIDI-abs/
Helper-abs/
Performance-patches/

If I'd like to load DrumModules abstractions from within a
Performance-patch (with [declare -path ../Drum-modules]), and
DrumModules abstractions use Helper-abs abstractions, I need [declare
-path ../Helper-abs] to work within a Drum-modules abstraction.

If no Helper-abs are used within Performance-patch, then I don't want
to put [declare -path ../Helper-abs] there, because it would mean
Performance-patch would be looking in Helper-abs when all I want are
Drum-modules, slowing down the search process.*

Is it true that having more files in any one path increases the lookup
time?  I'd think it a good thing to encourage breaking large patch
collections into folders for organization reasons alone, and if there
are performance benefits to that too, then all the better!

Best
Luke

*and, to drive the point home further, say I also had "Score-modules"
inside Performance-patch that needed MIDI-abs and Datastructure-abs:
I /really/ don't want to put [declare -path ../MIDI-abs -path
../Datastructure-abs] in Performance-patch because now
Performance-patch is looking for Drum-modules in MIDI-abs and
Datastructure-abs for no reason.

Worse, Drum-modules inherit these paths too and are looking
fruitlessly for their Helper-abs in MIDI-abs and Datastructure-abs,
which is what I was trying to avoid in the first place when switching
from global to local namespaces.