[PD] Recommendations for combining many images (256+)

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Fri Sep 19 22:59:45 CEST 2008

Hey all,

Any recommendations as to the best way to combine many images?

What I'm after is a kind of long exposure where each image could be
weighted differently in order to give it more emphasis.

I did a quick test in Gem layering 100 images on 100 rects on top of one
and other with 0.01 opacity.

Problem it uses too much CPU (seems to be the GPU lagging). I can render
all 100 easily on the same machine if they are not totally overlapping.

Would gridflow be able to combine 256 640x480 images?

CPU solutions (rather than GPU) are best, as I'm hoping for 640x480
resolution and many more images than will fit in graphics mem.

Would something like this work:

Every channel of every pixel of every image divided by the number of
images (256) multiplied by a weight, where all the results are summed?

All the images would be loaded into a pix_buffer.

What is the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks,

.b.