[PD] how pd refers to abstractions under OS X - example of "adsr" in vanilla version

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Sat Sep 20 16:35:51 CEST 2008

Lao Yu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I copied all of the examples out of the application package into
> another disk. everything is working fine. However when I was fiddling
> around I realized that pd would only open abstractions if they are
> exactly inside the folder that they were. For instance, the patch /
> 3.audio.examples/D02.adsr.pd would not work if it is opened from a
> different folder.

Did you copy all the files?  Or just that one file?

> I do not understand that. I'm not talking about an experimental patch
> that has stuff changed, the same patch just "saved as" doesn't work.

A Pd program in general consists of multiple files - the "top level
patch", the "abstractions" used by it (and the ones used by them, etc)
and sometimes some "externals" too.  If you save just one of those files
somewhere else, how is Pd supposed to know where the other files are
when you load it again?

Quick solution: keep all files belonging to one program in the same folder.

Other solution: add the folders containing the pieces of your program to
Pd's -path list.

> I'd appreciate any advice. I tried to add the folder inside the
> application package to the startup path, but for some reasons that I
> don't understand the configuration is not updated (and I don't know
> if that would solve the problem in the first place).

Did you restart Pd after changing the settings?

> Best
> Jurgen

Claude
--