[PD] how pd refers to abstractions under OS X - example of "adsr" in vanilla version

Lao Yu noise.now at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 19:29:20 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Sep 20, 2008, at 10:35 PM, Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:

> Did you copy all the files?  Or just that one file?

I copied the entire contents of the package, all the folders that
numbered "1.manual" to "8.sound".

>  If you save just one of those files somewhere else, how is Pd
> supposed to know where the other files are when you load it again?

I understand that, because when I keep the patch in the original
place it works as expected. But from how it looks like the path in
the preferences is absolute (by default), not relative. To me this
means that whenever I load a pd patch that uses abstractions which
are in-built pd must find those. tell me if I'm wrong.

> Did you restart Pd after changing the settings?

I realized that pd "vanilla" and pd extended use the same plist - so
I deleted one of them and use only one package. now saving the path
works and the adsr abstraction gets loaded as expected.
However now my patch saved elsewhere doesn't load the "output~"
abstraction, although I linked all folders in the patch, including
the very obscure "figs" folder which contains the "output~" file.
gasp, this is far from reasonable. And the manual is very quiet about
this.

Thanks Claude, very friendly. I will continue my search. How do you
work? Until now I do not know under which name the abstraction is
saved and how pd makes reference to it.

Jurgen