[PD] New version of plugin~

Jacob Lee artdent at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 07:39:17 CEST 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 2:47 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:
> Jacob Lee wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 3:23 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
>> wrote:

>>> as 0-127 is really only because of MIDI, i would suggest using "bindmidi"
>>> or
>>> "bindmidiscaled" (of "bind7bitbecauseofmidiandlongnamessuck")
>>>
>>> in general i think we should use 0..1 for normalized ranges as much as
>>> possible (and as is used in the "mapping" library)
>>>

>> Hmm. Besides midi, the advantage of 0-127 is that it's the default
>> range for sliders. Of course, it's not hard to add [/ 127] and a send
>
> yes it's true; and i think it is the top of all the incorrect decisions in
> the design of the sliders (even worse than the built-in scale-distortion)
>
> imho, a newly designed object should be able to handle legacy designs as far
> as "easily" possible, but it shouldn't be designed with legacy in mind. (or
> however one would phrase this - it's still early in the morning)
>
>> below the message, but at that point you might as well replace the
>> division with a proper range conversion and add a [control foo $1(.
>> Accepting the range 0-127 means requiring nothing more than named
>> sliders.
>
> indeed, but in order to name sliders one has to open the properties
> anyhow...
>>
>> Another possibility is to accept messages like "bindscaled 0 127";
>> we'd still have to argue about the default, but the stakes would be
>> lower.
>>

> i thikn that's a good idea.
> obviously i would vote for the default to be 0..1
>
> fgnasdr
> IOhannes

I've updated plugin~ to accept messages of the form "bindscaled 0 1",
with the two new arguments being the lower and upper bounds,
respectively.

Right now the default for bindscaled is still 0 to 127. I'm highly
inclined to leave in that way: if you're doing interesting things with
the mapping externals, a couple of extra arguments to bindscaled is no
big hurdle; if you're simply binding sliders to parameters, it's
convenient for the defaults to just work.

Also, I tested building from the externals/build directory; it works
once you add recv.c to the list of includes in
externals/build/src/plugin~.c

--
Jacob Lee
artdent at gmail.com